9/16/08

We have power!!!



That is what Aubree said as she ran around the house turning on all the lights after 30 hours (like an eternity) without electricity. Sunday we got the 75 mph winds that came up from Hurricane Ike. After the power went out multiple times at church we headed home to "raining branches" as Aubree put it. We came to two different intersections with trees in the street and had to rethink our route home. When we got home we got to watch shingles fly from the roof of the apartments across the street. The kids thought it was great to have to use the flashlights, but Brent and I were (understandably) annoyed. We were the lucky ones, we lost minimal food and had great friends who did have power take care of us. We were initially told that it could take 3-7 days to restore power and as of now I still have friends with no power. I cannot imagine if we were anywhere closer to the hurricane! My heart goes out to those who are directly effected by the storm.

1 comments:

jamie t. said...

Holy smokes! That is crazy. I remember when we lived there the power going out and my fridge was the first thing I would worry about. Sure makes you grateful in a hurry for all those things we take for granted.